Limitations often spawn creativity. When we caught wind that The Umbrella co-founder Robert Picciotto (a.k.a Blacky II) was getting ready to release his Point of Light debut EP under his Material Witness moniker, we threw down the gauntlet and asked if he could craft an all-Brooklyn DJ mix. Picciotto accepted the challenge but took the necessary time to orchestrate it.
A few weeks later he emerged from the lab with an absolutely incredible 10-track session boasting dark, electro-fied techno cuts by Umfang, Beta Librae, Ciarra Black, The Creatrix, Via App and Kedr Livanskiy. He also included three selections from his aforementioned EP.
Says Picciotto, who is also half of the borough’s Rinsed party crew, of his Big Shot Guest Mix: “All tracks were either written, produced, released, or set to be released by Brooklyn residents, Brooklyn-based labels and/or artists and labels integral to the Brooklyn electronic music scene by request of Big Shot Magazine.
“As a third generation Brooklynite, I’ve valued the underground sub and counter cultures surrounding nightlife, dancing, music, and art from a very young age. Included in the mix is only a small slice of the immense diversity available to the lucky residents with whom I share a home.”
Big Shot Guest Mix 339: Material Witness
- Material Witness – Point of Light (The Umbrella)
- Umfang – Where is She (Technicolour)
- ID – ID (The Umbrella)
- Material Witness – Micro Lunar Abrasion (The Umbrella)
- Material Witness – 3 6 9 (The Umbrella)
- Beta Librae – Thirties (Allergy Season)
- Ciarra Black – “Series Of” (Lives Through Magic)
- The Creatrix – “Ionosphere” (No Tech)
- Via App – Anisthynia (Allergy Season)
- Kedr Livanskiy – ACDC (2MR)