With the summer solstice tomorrow at 6:51 am EST, we knew a guest mix from New York City house music explorer DJ Nutritious would be the best way to welcome the longest day of the year. Having played high-profile festivals such as Ultra Music Festival to underground loft parties to holding down a residency at Manhattan’s Ace Hotel, Nutritious has the ability to rock any dance floor. He skillfully peppers his sunny 14-track journey with standout floor movers from Miguel Migs, Gorgon City, Luke Solomon and Disclosure. As an added bonus, Nutritious, who helms the SpinSpinNYC imprint, included his crafty edit of !!!’s “Slyd.” Check out Nutritious’ mix below and read on where he explains what summer means to him and how he plans to spend it this year.
Catch DJ Nutritious at Forward Disco along with Brian Burnside, Sean Cormac and Chili Davis at Cielo in New York City on June 21.
Big Shot Guest Mix: DJ Nutritious
1. Factory Floor – Turn It Up (c2 ((Carl Craig)) Remix) – DFA Records
2. !!! – Slyd (Nutritious Edit)
3. Miguel Migs – Down To It (Deep & Salty Mix) – Salted Music
4. Flash Atkins vs. Daco – Vowerk – Paper Recordings
5. Shall Ocin – Blind To The Truth – Leftroom Limited
6. Shall Ocin ft. Mireia – Breaking Chains – Leftroom Limited
7. H2 – What Is (AFFKT Rework) – Form
8. Gorgon City – Ready For Your Love (Dub Mix) – Virgin EMI
9. Luke Solomon ft. Natalie Broomes – We Go (BBQ Dub) – Classic Music Company
10. Disclosure – What’s In Your Head (Mak & Pasteman Remix) – Greco Roman
12. Bryan Ford – Shoe Tree – Revolutionary Music
13. Ed Wizard & Disco Double Dee – Straight Up – Editorial Records
14. Christine Hoberg – Actions – Promo Self Released
Happy summer! What does summer mean to you? What’s your favorite summer memory?
DJ Nutritious: Happy summer to you, too, and to the readers as well. And, thank you for this feature. Much respect for you and Big Shot and your support of the scene all these years. Summer’s about that Yang life: outward energy, growth, activity, the best parties and festivals and the sun is amazing. Unless of course you’re in Chile now (like I’ve been) where it’s approaching peak winter, and you’re that goat we slaughtered on the finca at the bottom of the Andes Mountains in Chillán, roasted for dinner so we could fuel up for heli-boarding. Typical cold weather stuff.
Your guest mix is inspired by summer. Tell us how you went about preparing the mix.
I went through promos as usual, organized the music by vibe, then completely improvised the set. Some of the songs and samples included were already in my collection, some are edits I prepared specifically for this set just for fun.
The mix includes an exclusive edit you did of !!!’s “Slyd.” How did that remix come about?
I’ve been doing edits for a while — almost all of them come from spinning the original live at a show — doing whatever turntablism inspires me at the time. Oftentimes, when a live remix comes out memorable, I’ll lay it down in the studio; recreate it as closely as I can from memory to sound like what I did at the show. This edit of “Slyd” is that.
Are you a rooftop deck or beach kind of a guy?
What are your DJ plans for summer 2014?
Going to kick off the summer solstice at Cielo in NYC this Saturday with Forward Disco. Have a few more shows after that on the schedule — some still tba — and then do an end of summer speaking panel on music production at the 24th Annual DJ Times DJ Expo at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City.