Nearly ten years since the first Involver compilation and five since volume two, Sasha’s Balearic teaching is still resonant and relevant. Building, taking his time, showing clubbers where to go and what to do when the sun begins its descent, he of a golden age of superstar DJs works up a deep tech house session with as much relish for loosening up and keeping going.
Effortlessly fluent, personally guiding the sun down himself like an airport marshal, Sasha’s set hums sagely while a wiry girly or candle flickering vocal usually wraps itself around the settings (Ultraísta’s “Smalltalk,” Sasha’s own “Shoot You Down”), while ThermalBear’s “Turn the Tide” plays patron for deep and stylish grooves with ripples of expectancy and vim. Remixing The xx, Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka, Ananda Project James Zabiela and more to fit the cause would lead to whispers on the merits of re-tuning all on his terms, were the mix not so accessible in its EDM shushing.
Propped up by a more travel-sized ambient mix, Sasha distils and cleanses the essence of disc one’s contributors. On the surface it just seems to be in thought with itself or has simply lessened the pulse of the source on a two-for-one basis, but is such that the pair become perfect partners as separate entities. Mind soul and body all taken care of, which has always been Sasha’s game.
File under: John Digweed, Nick Warren, Charlie May
British house duo Wideboys — Eddie Craig and Jim Sullivan — are known to many for their KISS FM show and array of speaker rattling remixes for the likes of Masters At Work, Bob Sinclar, N.E.R.D. and Estelle. With various mix compilations for Ministry of Sound under their belt, the ‘Boys continue their winning ways with their newly released track “The Word.” Featuring mixes from Project Bassline, Cause N Affect, Koncept, Deckscarr, Crissy Cris and Vince Nysee, the single is a fierce rager oozing with lots of bottom end. On this exclusive Big Shot Guest Mix, Wideboys flex their Schwarzenegger like mixing muscle on a 25-track session featuring cuts by Napt, Jessie Ware and Sub Focus. Download and enjoy.
Big Shot Guest Mix: Wideboys by Big Shot Magazine on Mixcloud
Big Shot Guest Mix: Wideboys
1. Wideboys / “The Word (World Wide Phonographics)
2. Machines Don’t Care / “Beat Dun Drop” (CDR)
3. Micky Slim / “Rock N Rolla” (CDR)
4. Project Bassline / “Whipper Snapper” (Zentek)
5. Azelia Banks vs Majesitc / “Back to the 212” (Wideboys Booty Mash Up) (888)
6. Wideboys ft Clare Evers / “Reach Out Now” (Amsterdam Mix) (Zentek)
7. Cut Kids ft Belle Humble / “Night Games” (Project Bassline Mix) (CDR)
8. Wretch 32 ft Ed Sheeran / “Hush Little Baby” (Wideboys Remix) (Ministry)
9. Napt / “Tom Tom” (Fools Gold)
10. Wideboys / “Wonky Drop” (Zentek)
11. Labrinth / “Express Yourself” (Wideboys Dub) (Syco)
12. Issac Christopher / “The Good Ol Days” (CDR)
13. Modestep / “Show Me A Sign” (Todd Edwards Mix) (CDR)
14. Jessie Ware / “Running” (Disclosure Mix) (CDR)
15. Flux Pavilion ft Example / “Daydreamer” (Jack Beats Mix) (CDR)
16. Wideboys / “The Word” (Project Bassline Unreleased Jackin Mix” (WWP)
17. Porter Robinson / “Language” (Ministry)
18. Dismantle / “Computation VIP” (Wheel & Deal)
19. Gordon Edge / “Compounded ” (Project Bassline Booty Dubstep Mix) (CDR)
20. Sub Focus / “Falling Down VIP” (RAM)
21. Skism / “Power – Eptic Remix” (CDR)
22. Wideboys ft Sway & Mclean / “Shopaholic” (Funtcase Mix) (WWP)
23. DC Breaks ft Belle Humble / “Move Closer ” (DC Dubstep VIP) (CDR)
24. Rudimental / “Feel the Love” (Fred V & Graffix) (Black Buter)
25. Tantrum Desire / “Get With It” (Technique Records)