Yesterday we told you about the release of its upcoming DDJ-ERGO-K, an improved version of the DDJ-ERGO-V controller. Today the company announced the upcoming release of its XDJ-AERO, the first-ever wireless all-in-one DJ system. The XDJ-AERO allows DJs to load music wirelessly from smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs with its own Wi-Fi setup. The system is also Pioneer’s first unit to utilize its new native player for Pioneer’s rekordbox music management software. The XDJ-AERO will be available this month at an SRP of £869/€999 EUR, including VAT. (No word yet on the system’s availability in North America.) Have a look at the XDJ-AERO’s specs and accompanying promo video below.
Key features of the XDJ-AERO
1. INDUSTRY FIRST: Wirelessly connect up to four devices
By creating an ad hoc network, the XDJ-AERO can sync with up to four Wi-Fi enabled devices at once, without the need for any extra equipment. For the first time, DJs can use smartphones, tablets and computers to wirelessly load rekordbox music to their decks.
DJs can use the XDJ-AERO to control wireless devices remotely so they can browse tracks and load them directly to their decks even if the device is not in their hands.
And the new mobile application allows DJs to use their smartphones and tablets as remote controls for the XDJ-AERO. With USB source selected, DJs can browse music and load tracks on the XDJ-AERO using the devices’ bigger, touch-sensitive screens.
The audience can send music from their wireless devices to the XDJ-AERO, though tracks will not load until the DJ accepts them. If a device goes out of range while a track is being played an emergency loop is created so there is no break in the music. And if a call is made on a smartphone mid-track, the music will continue to play as long as the device supports multitasking.
Plus, by switching the XDJ-AERO’s music source from wireless to USB, DJs can play tracks on both decks from a single rekordbox-ready storage device.
2. Includes all the popular features from Pioneer’s pro-range
The XDJ-AERO brings together all of the most exciting features from Pioneer’s most popular multi-format players and mixers, including:
• Beat effects4: the XDJ-AERO boasts the most user-friendly and popular effects from Pioneer’s DJM range – Trans, Flanger, Roll and Echo.
• Post-fader: the effects are applied to the sound after the fader, allowing the sound to fade out naturally rather than stopping suddenly when the DJ cuts the source audio with the faders.
• Sound color effects: borrowed from the DJM series, the Sound Color Filters add high- and low-pass filters to the beat effects for even more creativity
• Sample banks: pre-loaded with four samples.
• Auto Loop: tracks can be automatically looped at specified positions.
• Quantize: DJs will never miss a beat again as the quantize function automatically synchronises the beat of rekordbox-ready tracks and effects.
3. Automatic features that make perfect mixes a breeze
• Beat Sync5: automatically syncs all tracks to the beat to the master deck using rekordbox beat grid information.
• Auto Mix: automatically mixes each track within a playlist if DJs need to step away from the deck during long sets.
4. Performance features and sample playback
• INDUSTRY FIRST Jog Drum: a more DJ-friendly way of engaging samples. DJs simply load a sample onto the deck and press Jog Drum; they can then trigger and scratch the samples by drumming directly on the jog wheel for more control and creativity.
• Sample Launch: with four samples pre-loaded onto each deck, DJs simply push Sample Launch once to perform with the currently engaged sample. By holding down Sample Launch, they can select another sample to perform with. Samples can also be launched using the XDJ-AERO’s effects, loops and pitch controls.
5. One-touch recording of popular mixes
Inherited from Pioneer’s DJM-350 mixer, the XDJ-AERO allows DJs to record their creations directly to USB as uncompressed CD-quality WAV files.
6. MIDI and HID control for ultimate flexibility
The XDJ-AERO can be used as a MIDI controller for Traktor and HID controller for Virtual DJ software.
7. Connect external hardware to use as a stand-alone mixer
For maximum flexibility, the unified player and mixer unit also has inputs to connect external hardware, such as CDJs or turntables, so DJs can use it as an independent mixer.
8. Premium design and build looks the part every time
With its classic black finish, sleek aluminium faceplate, blue LED lights and Pioneer’s industry-standard interface, the XDJ-AERO looks professional in any venue.
9. High-end components for superb sound in any environment
The XDJ-AERO’s audio circuits are the same as those used in Pioneer’s pro-DJ equipment to guarantee pristine sound reproduction. And full digital processing has been used to minimise distortion and noise from A/D-D/A conversion.
10. Other features
• Onboard 44.1kHz/24bit high resolution soundcard
• Independent three-band equalizer
• Dual headphone output ¬–minijack for inner-ear headphones and standard jack for full-size headphones
• Four-colour LCD displaying 18 languages
• Mic input and balanced TRS output