- Jamie Lidell – When I Come Back Round (Matthew Herbert’s Long Night Dub) (Accidental Jnr)
- COEO – Coast to Coast (Toy Tonics)
- Max Graef & Glen Astro – W313D (Ninja Tune)
- Claret Cat – The Sun (Charles Webster Dub) (Miam)
- Ilija Rudman – In Her Eyes (Presence Dub Mix) (Imogen)
- Charles Webster feat. Cathy Battistessa – I Am the Sun (DJ Sabelo mix) (Miso)
- Niro – A Song About Whispers (Pads)
- Luka feat Sio – Invite Me In (We Go Deep)
- FCL – Cherry Pie (NDTAL)
- Séjour – Penser (Superficially Deep)
DJs, submit your top 10 chart along with a photo and we’ll publish.
The South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan is a Mecca for tourists who want to eat overpriced seafood and buy souvenirs. You’d hardly think it was a place where dance music could thrive, but it is (quietly). Tucked away in the back corner of Pier 17, Spiegelworld set up shop earlier in the summer and is presenting a series of events that will run until November. Like the best house party, the crowd was an odd mix comprised of local scenesters and European tourists, many of whom had bought tickets so they could watch the sunset from the beer garden. Fortunately for them, deep house don Charles Webster’s set didn’t overtly test their musical limits, because the master’s mojo is all about subtlety. Laced with elements of funk and soul, Webster played several exclusive remixes, many of which are included on his just released Coast2Coast compilation. For the faithful, it was a chance to hear one of the UK’s finest purveyors of deep house. For the uninformed, it was the musical backdrop for an otherwise lovely summer day.
Words & images: Darren Ressler
A video interview with Charles Webster is available on Big Shot’s YouTube page.