In celebration of his upcoming Under Conditions EP out May 29 on Simina Grigoriu’s Kuukou Records, Berlin-based Italian DJ/producer Marco Barbiero (better known as Barbur and the boss of the Barbur Room podcast) steps up to deliver one hell of a Big Shot Guest Mix. His techy 10-track session boasts masterpieces from Soul Button, Bastian Lehnert, Layton Giordani and D-Unity as well as four (!) of his own gems. Grazie mille, Marco!
Related: Read Simina Grigoriu’s 5 tracks of the moment
He says of the mix, “I wanted to start a musical trip between some deep and darker sounds to arrive to more techno influences, increasing the BPM too.
“I’ve also included some promos from my forthcoming releases, such as the EP that will be out on the Berlin label Kuukou Records run by Simina Grigoriu, where there are remixes from two artists that I really respect, Alex Kennon (second track of the mix) and Parisian pioneer, Mr. Claude Monnet. Take a listen and enjoy the music!”
Big Shot Guest Mix 331: Barbur
- Soul Button – Master Of My Fate (Original Mix) – Steyoyoke
- Barbur – Under Conditions (Alex Kennon Remix) – Kuukou Records [PROMO]
- Bastian Lehnert – I Try (Original Mix) – Ametist Records
- Marco Grosso – El Vibe (Original Mix) – Antura Records
- Barbur – Manifesto (Original Mix) – PP Music [PROMO]
- Queemose – Mate (Dirty Dirty Acid Acid Mix) – Suena Hermosa
- Layton Giordani – Fire Eyes (Original Mix) – Drumcode
- Barbur – Arpeggio (Original Mix) – Kuukou Records [PROMO]
- D-Unity – No More (Original Mix) – Unity Records
- Barbur – Parallel Trasmissions (Original Mix) – Pumpz
What a year it’s been for our Big Shot Guest Mix series. Over the past 12 months, we’ve brought you exclusive sessions from masters including Chicago house visionary Tevo Howard, Oliver Way of Detroit Grand Pubahs, and a post-everything voyage navigated by Parisian From Karaoke to Stardom.
We couldn’t close out 2016 in a better way than this session helmed by Purveyors of Fine Funk, which is the recently rebooted ’90s house alter ego of techno don and Metamorphic Recordings boss Dan Curtin.
Over the course of 15 funky-ass, deep-house tracks, Curtin lays fiery down cuts by Louie Vega & Jocelyn Brown, DJ Sneak, DJ Gomi and Paul Johnson. He also includes the stomping title track from POFF’s Soul Message EP on now Metamorphic.
“This is the house sound of Purveyors,” describes Curtin, “a little bit soul, little bit future, little bit jack, little bit dirty. This mix digs deep into those feelings, basically just keeping things real.” Enjoy!
Big Shot Guest Mix 325: Purveyors of Fine Funk
- Louie Vega, Jocelyn Brown – You Are Everything (Santiago Salazar Edit)
- DJ Gomi – Braveheart – Dopewax
- Shifty Science – Get Back – Argot
- Purveyors of Fine Funk – Subaffection – Metamorphic
- Alden Tyrell – Wurk It – Clone Jack For Dayz
- Leroy Burgess – Let’s Do It – (Santiago Salazar Edit)
- Purveyors of Fine Funk – Soul Message – Metamorphic
- DJ Sneak – Truly Gangster – IAHG
- Paul Johnson – Aww Shit – Relief Records
- The Analogue Cops – Every Tuesday – Sabotage
- Getto Soul – Dreams – Pastel Voids
- Purveyors of Fine Funk – Soul Mode – Metamorphic Recordings
- Dimi Angelsi – Green Aviation – Mord
- Alden Tyrell – GETO5 – Jack For Daze
- Sound Stream – All Night – Sound Stream
Panamanian brothers K.E.E.N.E. and Guatemalan mixmaster Gonzo-Gonzo comprise the musical triumvirate known as Cacao Trio. Ahead of December 12th’s release of Timeless (Cacao Records), a new series where the threesome curate and pay homage to their favorite club tracks, the emerging trio take the reigns of the latest Big Shot Guest Mix and present a mezmerizing hour-long session of glistening tech-house by Rodriguez Jr., Dub Taylor, Eric Kupper & Kenny Summit, Cab Drivers and more. Enjoy!
Big Shot Guest Mix 324: Cacao Trio (a.k.a. K.E.E.N.E. & Gonzo-Gonzo)
- Kreek (Glasidum remix) – Manu Oubiña & Groove Circus – We Records
- Dub Wide Open Love (Original Mix) – Jackie – SpekuLLa Records
- Miles in Aphrika (youANDme Edit) – Lawrence vs. Seth Troxler – Cacao Records
- From La Ceiba To Leon (Tigerskin Remix) – Cacao Trio (K.E.E.N.E. + Gonzo-Gonzo) – Cacao Records
- Over Here (Main Mix) – Eric Kupper & Kenny Summit present Proper – Classic Music Company
- Move Me (Matthias Meyer & Patlac Remix) – Rene Breitbarth – BaalSaal Records
- Hidden From The Mind (Original Mix) – Dub Taylor – Cacao Records
- Lava 2 (Original Mix) – Marco Resmann, Martin Landsky – Upon You Records
- Kids of Hula (Original Mix) – Rodriguez Jr. – Cacao Records
- Don’t Mess (Black Loops Remix) – K.E.E.N.E. – Cacao Records
- Cuidado (Original Mix) – Gonzo-Gonzo – Cacao Records
- Mind Trip (Original Mix) – Cab Drivers – 7th City
- The Gift – Apartment One & Gonzo-Gonzo – unsigned
- Sand (Move D Remix) – Kolja Gerstenberg – Smile For A While
- Timeless (Claptone Edit) – Superlover – Mother Recordings
On the eve of the release of his third full-length album, Forms (watch a trailer for it here), which is out on December 9 via Acker Records, German multi-instrumentalist and producer Stefan Streck (a.k.a. The Micronaut) takes control of the latest Big Shot Guest Mix and doesn’t disappoint.
Drawing from the energy and passion he brings to the 100+ live shows he performs each year, Streck creates a stylistically diverse musical narrative on the 18-track mix featuring bold, techy and deep selections from a range of artists including Zomby, Funkstörung, Dapayk & Padberg, Evil Nine and Bicep.
“This mix includes tracks that touch me really deep,” says the Leipzig-based Streck of the guest mix. “I can’t say exactly what it is but it’s got heart. There are some old ones and some very new ones as well but the level of production is off the roof.”
Big Shot Guest Mix 323: The Micronaut
- Dualist Inquiry – “Sleepwalker” (dualism Records)
- Mosca – “Kneecap” (AnnAimee)
- Erosion Flow – “Syvv” (Man Make Music)
- Breach – “Fatherless” (Doc Daneeka Remix) (PTN)
- Velvit – “No Excuses” (17 Steps)
- Zomby – “It’s Time” (2AD Records)
- The Micronaut – “Parallax” (Acker Records)
- Funkstörung – “Who Is Who” (Monkeytown)
- Dapayk & Padberg – “New Mini” (MosFerry)
- Here Is Why – “Tonight” (Adam Port Remix) (Keinemusik)
- Drew X Hill – “Bullets” (Born Electric)
- Velvit – “Passing Encounter” (Convex Industries)
- Bicep – “Closing Sequence” (50Weapons)
- Evil Nine – “Your Girl” (Broken Music Syndicate)
- Synkro – “Here’s Your” (Box Clever)
- Kiruma – “Silver Skull” (?)
- Shawni & 23∆d – “Feel Love” (?)
- The Flashbulb – “Once Weekly” (Alphabasic)
DJ/producer Pete “The Shaker” Bones has been there and done that during his career. He’s played his brand of progressive house and techno at clubs all over the world; released tracks on labels including Superfreq, City Seven, Nosi, Bedrock; remixed cuts for FFRR, London Records and XL—all while helming his Red Ant label. After signing tracks to Superfreq, NOSI, City Seven, and We are Here Music in 2015, this year Bones signed tracks to John Digweed’s Bedrock imprint and inked a new global distribution deal for Red Ant. To commemorate the release of his Bring Your Love Down EP, which was issued this month on Red Ant, Bones crafted a rockin’ 11-track guest mix featuring cuts by Superpitcher, Daniel Casa, Zombies in Miami and Marino Canal. “The inspiration for this mix came from a set I played recently in the courtyard of a stately 13th century mansion in England,” Pete tells us. “The party is called What The? and is a yearly event, a two-day retreat for those who know during the beautiful British summertime.” Check the mix below and catch him at New World Brewery in Tampa on October 15.
Big Shot Guest Mix 322: The Shaker
- Superpitcher – “People” (Kompakt)
- The Shaker – “Snow Globe” (Red Ant)
- Pete Bones – “Iron Curtain” (Red Ant)
- Eddie Vedder – “The Wolf” (Niko Schwind Remix) (White)
- Daniel Casa – “After Warsavia” (Embi Music)
- Marino Canal – “Solace” (MOOD)
- Montcosmik – “Agonie” (Nein)
- Zombies in Miami – “Shadows” (Correspondant)
- Pete Bones – “Another Fine Mess” (Red Ant)
- The Shaker – “Bring your Love Down” (Red Ant)
- JW Paris – “Animal” (Red Ant)
The first Big Shot Guest Mix of 2016 arrives via Paris born Jeremy Herpe (a.k.a. From Karaoke to Stardom). At the end of December 2015 Herpe, a producer/sound designer who currently lives in Berlin, released his brilliant second full-length, Little Voodoo Dolls (Fenou), an album espousing his singular, ever-evolving take on tech-house.
Never one to be afraid of flipping the script, Herpe’s 15-track mix encompasses a moody, introspective range of sonic textures and styles, adroitly juxtaposing the disparate sounds of Jimi Hendrix Experience, Sage Francis, Roll the Dice, Sven Grünberg and Jerusalem in My Heart.
Bold, challenging and thoroughly enjoyable, we couldn’t think of a better mix to kick off 2016.
Big Shot Guest Mix 311: From Karaoke to Stardom by Big Shot Magazine on Mixcloud
Big Shot Guest Mix: From Karaoke to Stardom
- Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Moon, Turn The Tides… Gently Gently Away”
- Rrose – “Adrift”
- Sada feat. Sensational & Black Chameleon – “Every Corner”
- Roll the Dice – “Guadeloupe”
- Sage Francis – “Hopeless”
- Fadimoutou Wallet Inamoud – “Yalalela”
- Astrobotnia – “Lightworks”
- Herron – “Feet First”
- Benedikt Frey – “Can you Feel The Pain”
- Popol Vuh – “Aguirre I”
- Milyoo – “Face To Face”
- Marconi Union – “Ginza District”
- Sven Grünberg – “Valgusois”
- ADMX-71 – “MGM 41-85”
- Jerusalem in My Heart – “Yudaghdegh El-Ra3ey Walal-Ghanam”