Chicago DJ/producer Jamie 3:26 has compiled A Taste of Chicago, a compilation of personal edits from the late ’80s to early 2000’s he’s produced and played in various Chicago underground venues over the years, including The Basement.
The compendium featuring edits of tracks by the likes of BSTC, Chip-E and Braxton Holmes is set to be released via BBE Music March 27. The release comes after Jamie 3:26 dropped a 12″ preview sampler in 2018. Jamie has called the endeavor “a dream project” and says the two-year process to release it wasn’t easy in lieu of clearance issues and a heavy touring schedule.
Says Jamie 3:26 of the release: “This compilation represents the true unspoken sound of my city. While the House scene was blossoming into what would be a globally recognized phenomenon, we had this whole hidden movement going on. These personal edits that I played back then represent magical moments in time that are still being created in many of my sets today. A huge thank you to my music brothers Marshall Jefferson, Braxton Holmes, Tone B. Nimble, Chip E, Pap Spencer, Doc Brucio, Carl Bias for trusting my ears with your creations.”
The album cover features a photo of his late grandparents “because they always believed and supported me. My late grandmother purchased my first record player and boombox as a kid. She also purchased my first full DJ set and sound system.”
1. BSTC – Venus & Mars (Jamie 3:26 Edit)
2. Mighty Science – The Lesson (Doc Brucio’s Original Mix – Jamie 3:26 Edit)
3. Jungle Wonz – The Jungle (Jamie’s Jungle Sounds Edit)
4. Quest – Mind Games (Underground Mix – Jamie 3:26 Edit)
5. Braxton Holmes feat. Cabrini-Greens and Cornbread – Stomps & Shouts (Jamie 3:26 Basement Edit)
6. Chip E – It’s House (Jamie’s Basement Edit)
7. Calendar – Comin’ On Strong (Jamie 3:26 Edit)