From his days attending drum ‘n’ bass parties in Los Angeles to gravitating toward industrial music, Ashes eventually found his true musical calling — techno — and hasn’t looked back. Elements of the genres he’s explored on his artistic journey continue to influence his evolving sound, and that’s the secret sauce behind his productions.
In October the Berlin-based technocrat released his debut Angel of Dissolution EP on his Nox Recordings. It’s a hard-hitting four-track effort that wraps its arms around all of the previously mentioned styles (and more). It arrives after the previously released Dream Pusher and Relic EP on Volute Records.
Ashes takes the helm of the final Big Shot Guest Mix of 2017. It’s a 16-track session featuring dark, unrelenting tracks by Dustmite, Regal, Kryptic Minds & Sleeper and The Scientifics.
He says of the mix: “The focus of this particular mix was to create a narrative around the Angel of Dissolution EP and to set the tone for my label, Nox, by pulling inspiration from the past and present; hinting at what can be expected in the near future.”
Big Shot Guest Mix 340: Ashes
- Archivist – Star In A Circle
- Ashes – Crystal Oblivion
- Dustmite – Lightwall
- Regal – Trave Generation
- Ashes – Drug Sorcery
- AnGy KoRe – Flat Tummy
- 7.Opål – Capillaries
- Jan Fleck – Control
- Kryptic Minds & Sleeper – Axis Shift
- Kryptic Minds & Sleeper – Solarized Formation
- Coefficient – Inverse Dub
- Struction – Kreen
- The Scientifics – Dirty Love
- Andrea (IT) – Void
- Struction – Warrior
- Ashes – Relic (Faru’s Submersion Remix)
Limitations often spawn creativity. When we caught wind that The Umbrella co-founder Robert Picciotto (a.k.a Blacky II) was getting ready to release his Point of Light debut EP under his Material Witness moniker, we threw down the gauntlet and asked if he could craft an all-Brooklyn DJ mix. Picciotto accepted the challenge but took the necessary time to orchestrate it.
A few weeks later he emerged from the lab with an absolutely incredible 10-track session boasting dark, electro-fied techno cuts by Umfang, Beta Librae, Ciarra Black, The Creatrix, Via App and Kedr Livanskiy. He also included three selections from his aforementioned EP.
Says Picciotto, who is also half of the borough’s Rinsed party crew, of his Big Shot Guest Mix: “All tracks were either written, produced, released, or set to be released by Brooklyn residents, Brooklyn-based labels and/or artists and labels integral to the Brooklyn electronic music scene by request of Big Shot Magazine.
“As a third generation Brooklynite, I’ve valued the underground sub and counter cultures surrounding nightlife, dancing, music, and art from a very young age. Included in the mix is only a small slice of the immense diversity available to the lucky residents with whom I share a home.”
Big Shot Guest Mix 339: Material Witness
- Material Witness – Point of Light (The Umbrella)
- Umfang – Where is She (Technicolour)
- ID – ID (The Umbrella)
- Material Witness – Micro Lunar Abrasion (The Umbrella)
- Material Witness – 3 6 9 (The Umbrella)
- Beta Librae – Thirties (Allergy Season)
- Ciarra Black – “Series Of” (Lives Through Magic)
- The Creatrix – “Ionosphere” (No Tech)
- Via App – Anisthynia (Allergy Season)
- Kedr Livanskiy – ACDC (2MR)
Southampton DJ/producer UKG four-piece FooR know that it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing.
The group of friends are on a mission to make a difference in the world of UK garage. So far they’re kicking ass, releasing floor fillers on the regular and dropping some mighty fine bootlegs.
The foursome have just unleashed their latest jam, “3 Words” featuring Effie, on Yosh. It’s supported by a fiery set of remixes by featuring choice remixes by Freejak, Endor, Mind Of A Dragon, Shaun Dean, Shapes and Bad Habit.
To celebrate the release, the boys entered the lab and crafted a 20-track guest mix stuffed with vocal bangers. Opening with their new single, they drop funky-ass upfront tracks by Zed Bias, Camilla Destiny, Dua Lipa and Shapes feat. Major Milli. The boys also pepper in their spicy re-rubs for James Hype & Keli-Leigh and Chase & Status.
Hit that play button below and get ready to move your waistline to their basslines.
Big Shot Guest Mix 338: FooR
- FooR feat. Effie – 3 Words
- Imani feat. Sigala & Blonde – Dont Need No Money (Marc Baigent & Element Z remix)
- Control-S feat. Sweet Female Attitude – I Quit
- Endor – Give Me More
- Zed Bias & Shermanology – Love Don’t Love Me
- Like Son – Freakin (FooR Remix)
- Camilla Destiny – Sunset (Control-S Remix)
- Maddy – Under A Spell (Bad Habit Remix)
- Zed Bias – Been Here Before
- TIEKS – Sing That Song (feat. Celeste) [All About She Remix]
- Moony – Be Your Only
- Champion – Runnin it Red – FooR Dubplate
- Dua Lipa – New Rules – Shaun Dean Remix
- James Hype & Keli-Leigh – More Than Friends – FooR Remix
- Tom Zanetti & Karen Harding – More & More – Shaun Dean Remix
- Notion Feat Slick Don – Vex
- Jay Faded – Head Off!!
- Chase & Status – Eastern Jam – FooR Remix
- Shapes feat. Major Milli – Pogo Stick
Bostonian Ryan Lucht, who DJs and produces under his Camino 84 moniker, kicked our freakin’ ass in June when we premiered his gnarly disco-funk dance-punk romp “Blue Rose.” The jam is culled from his newly released album, New Mutant Disco, featuring collabs with Beantown luminaries including singer-songwriter Sidney Gish and MCs KOOL A.D and Latrell James.
To quote a line from Andrea True Connection, his disco-centric album left us wanting more, more, more. So we asked Lucht to bless us with a guest mix. He kindly delivered a 13-track session stuffed with string-laden disco classics by Shalamar, Taana Gardner, The Dells, and Candy Bowman.
Lucht tells us that the mix was “recorded live on a Sunday morning in my apartment here in Boston … stuck pretty closely to disco/boogie but otherwise just picked up a handful of 12″s I felt like listening to! Turned out to be a good blend of some of my personal favorites, and tracks I don’t play as often anymore.”
Now go put on your white polyester three-piece suit, hit the play button below and dance, dance, dance.
Big Shot Guest Mix 337: Camino 84
Intro Camino 84 – “S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y.”
1. Lisa Warrington – “I Like The Way You Do It”
2. Candy Bowman – “I Wanna Feel Your Love”
3. Jesse G – “That’s Hot”
4. Shalamar – “Take That To The Bank”
5. Love De-Luxe – “Here Comes That Sound Again”
6. Ramona Brooks – “I Don’t Want You Back”
7. The Dells – “All About The Paper”
8. Faux Love – “If You Want Me”
9. Five Special – “Why Leave Us Alone”
10. Bim Marx – “Funky 2 Nite”
11. Taana Gardner – “Work That Body”
12. Y. Gerhovsky – “Disco Baby”
13. Aqua Fina – “remember ペトロス 2”
The days are getting shorter, school is starting, and pumpkin-flavored everything is everywhere. Before we say farewell to our favorite season, Austin, TX outfit Lance Herbstrong —producers Kamal Soliman and Bill Sarver and guitarist Peter DiStefano — bless us with a Big Shot Guest Mix fuelled by their leftfield reggae vibe.
The exclusive 18-track session boasts their debut original song “Ripped,” featuring hip-hop legend Big Daddy Kane on the m-i-c. The track was written for the same-named stoner film starring comedian Russell Peters (Last Comic Standing, The Jungle Book, Chef) and Faizon Love (Grow House, Black-ish, Elf) that hit theaters, iTunes and VOD in June.
Here’s what the guys had to say about the mix:
“Reggae will always be a pillar of the Lance Herbstrong sound. Some of our first remixes were based off old reggae classics, and each of our three albums contain at least one reggae track. Ever since we headlined the Austin Reggae Festival in 2013, we’ve wanted to fuse all of our reggae inspired remixes together into one continuous play. Our goal is to pay homage and respect to these originals while modernizing the sound for the future generation. And so, the day is finally here for us to share the Lance Herbstrong reggae vibration all in one seamless mix!
“Playing these songs live is always a highlight in the set for us. Also included in this special mix is our most recent collaboration with Big Daddy Kane on the song ‘Ripped.’ Plus, we’ve included a previously unreleased mashup of Slightly Stoopid’s smash hit ‘2 AM’ with Manu Negra’s classic ‘Long Long Nite.’ The 2 AM remix has never been released and has only been performed live a few times, most notably and for the first time at Stoopid’s destination festival in Mexico, Closer to the Sun.”
Listen below and enjoy!
- Get Up Stand Up – Ashley Beedle Remix
- Keep You (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Wild Bell
- Real Hot (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Lennie Hibbert
- Legalize It (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – “Sublime” (Dave Aron Remix), Peter Tosh
- 2 AM (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Manu Chao, Slightly Stoopid
- Buddy Bye (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Johnny Osbourne, Rush
- Zunguzung (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Yellowman
- SupaCat Police – Mooqee – Could You be Loved by Bob Marley + Sound of da Police by KRS-One
- Bam 16 (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – M16 by Lone Ranger and Bam Bam by Sister Nancy Fort Knox Five Remix
- Shove It (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Santigold, Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth
- The Mother (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Xavier Rudd
- Uptown Top Rankin (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Althea and Donna and Three Piece Suit by Trinity
- Kill a Man (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Cypress Hill and Stereo MCs
- Connected (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Stereo MC’s w/ Sleepy Wonder
- Ripped – Lance Herbstrong w/ Big Daddy Kane
- Get Bendy (Lance Herbstrong Re-Edit) – DJ Wood, Sean Paul, Asteroids Galaxy Tour
- Electric Ave (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Eddy Grant, INXS
- Nice Up – Blackgrass
Top Town Records label mates Chris Leon and Matt Sawyer knock it out of the park on their debut collaboration, “Alis,” which is a wash of warm electronica and uptempo late-night sounds. We can’t wait to hear their follow-up.
Both Italian maestros have been deep in the mix for years, DJing at top clubs all over Italy. The pair bring their leftfield style to the Big Shot Guest Mix series with an expertly curated and eclectic 10-track session boasting deep, techy cuts and remixes by Matthias Tanzmann, Damian Lazarus, Patrice Bäumel, Pablo Fierro, and Raw District.
“We’ve chosen the best tracks of the moment from this genre, with many ethnic, groovy and emotional moments. We hope you enjoy it.”
Hit the play button below and enjoy.
Big Shot Guest Mix 335: Chris Leon & Matt Sawyer
- Matthias Tanzmann – Coffee Clouds (Andhim Remix)
- Damian Lazarus – I Found You (Patrice Bäumel Remix)
- Blond:ish & Shawni – Wizard Of Love (Modular Project Remix)
- Moon Rocket, Moblack – Gafara (Afro Main Mix)
- Pablo Fierro – La Palma
- Francesco Chiocci & Black Soda – Black Sunrise (Original Mix)
- Lessons – Tempest (Adam Port Europa Mix)
- Raw District – From The Inside
- Viktor Talking Machine, Super Flu – Plastik (Original Mix)
- Matt Sawyer & Chris Leon – Alis (Original Mix)