Bostonian Ryan Lucht, who DJs and produces under his Camino 84 moniker, kicked our freakin’ ass in June when we premiered his gnarly disco-funk dance-punk romp “Blue Rose.” The jam is culled from his newly released album, New Mutant Disco, featuring collabs with Beantown luminaries including singer-songwriter Sidney Gish and MCs KOOL A.D and Latrell James.
To quote a line from Andrea True Connection, his disco-centric album left us wanting more, more, more. So we asked Lucht to bless us with a guest mix. He kindly delivered a 13-track session stuffed with string-laden disco classics by Shalamar, Taana Gardner, The Dells, and Candy Bowman.
Lucht tells us that the mix was “recorded live on a Sunday morning in my apartment here in Boston … stuck pretty closely to disco/boogie but otherwise just picked up a handful of 12″s I felt like listening to! Turned out to be a good blend of some of my personal favorites, and tracks I don’t play as often anymore.”
Now go put on your white polyester three-piece suit, hit the play button below and dance, dance, dance.
Big Shot Guest Mix 337: Camino 84
Intro Camino 84 – “S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y.”
1. Lisa Warrington – “I Like The Way You Do It”
2. Candy Bowman – “I Wanna Feel Your Love”
3. Jesse G – “That’s Hot”
4. Shalamar – “Take That To The Bank”
5. Love De-Luxe – “Here Comes That Sound Again”
6. Ramona Brooks – “I Don’t Want You Back”
7. The Dells – “All About The Paper”
8. Faux Love – “If You Want Me”
9. Five Special – “Why Leave Us Alone”
10. Bim Marx – “Funky 2 Nite”
11. Taana Gardner – “Work That Body”
12. Y. Gerhovsky – “Disco Baby”
13. Aqua Fina – “remember ペトロス 2”
The days are getting shorter, school is starting, and pumpkin-flavored everything is everywhere. Before we say farewell to our favorite season, Austin, TX outfit Lance Herbstrong —producers Kamal Soliman and Bill Sarver and guitarist Peter DiStefano — bless us with a Big Shot Guest Mix fuelled by their leftfield reggae vibe.
The exclusive 18-track session boasts their debut original song “Ripped,” featuring hip-hop legend Big Daddy Kane on the m-i-c. The track was written for the same-named stoner film starring comedian Russell Peters (Last Comic Standing, The Jungle Book, Chef) and Faizon Love (Grow House, Black-ish, Elf) that hit theaters, iTunes and VOD in June.
Here’s what the guys had to say about the mix:
“Reggae will always be a pillar of the Lance Herbstrong sound. Some of our first remixes were based off old reggae classics, and each of our three albums contain at least one reggae track. Ever since we headlined the Austin Reggae Festival in 2013, we’ve wanted to fuse all of our reggae inspired remixes together into one continuous play. Our goal is to pay homage and respect to these originals while modernizing the sound for the future generation. And so, the day is finally here for us to share the Lance Herbstrong reggae vibration all in one seamless mix!
“Playing these songs live is always a highlight in the set for us. Also included in this special mix is our most recent collaboration with Big Daddy Kane on the song ‘Ripped.’ Plus, we’ve included a previously unreleased mashup of Slightly Stoopid’s smash hit ‘2 AM’ with Manu Negra’s classic ‘Long Long Nite.’ The 2 AM remix has never been released and has only been performed live a few times, most notably and for the first time at Stoopid’s destination festival in Mexico, Closer to the Sun.”
Listen below and enjoy!
- Get Up Stand Up – Ashley Beedle Remix
- Keep You (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Wild Bell
- Real Hot (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Lennie Hibbert
- Legalize It (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – “Sublime” (Dave Aron Remix), Peter Tosh
- 2 AM (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Manu Chao, Slightly Stoopid
- Buddy Bye (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Johnny Osbourne, Rush
- Zunguzung (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Yellowman
- SupaCat Police – Mooqee – Could You be Loved by Bob Marley + Sound of da Police by KRS-One
- Bam 16 (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – M16 by Lone Ranger and Bam Bam by Sister Nancy Fort Knox Five Remix
- Shove It (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Santigold, Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth
- The Mother (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Xavier Rudd
- Uptown Top Rankin (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Althea and Donna and Three Piece Suit by Trinity
- Kill a Man (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Cypress Hill and Stereo MCs
- Connected (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Stereo MC’s w/ Sleepy Wonder
- Ripped – Lance Herbstrong w/ Big Daddy Kane
- Get Bendy (Lance Herbstrong Re-Edit) – DJ Wood, Sean Paul, Asteroids Galaxy Tour
- Electric Ave (Lance Herbstrong Remix) – Eddy Grant, INXS
- Nice Up – Blackgrass
Top Town Records label mates Chris Leon and Matt Sawyer knock it out of the park on their debut collaboration, “Alis,” which is a wash of warm electronica and uptempo late-night sounds. We can’t wait to hear their follow-up.
Both Italian maestros have been deep in the mix for years, DJing at top clubs all over Italy. The pair bring their leftfield style to the Big Shot Guest Mix series with an expertly curated and eclectic 10-track session boasting deep, techy cuts and remixes by Matthias Tanzmann, Damian Lazarus, Patrice Bäumel, Pablo Fierro, and Raw District.
“We’ve chosen the best tracks of the moment from this genre, with many ethnic, groovy and emotional moments. We hope you enjoy it.”
Hit the play button below and enjoy.
Big Shot Guest Mix 335: Chris Leon & Matt Sawyer
- Matthias Tanzmann – Coffee Clouds (Andhim Remix)
- Damian Lazarus – I Found You (Patrice Bäumel Remix)
- Blond:ish & Shawni – Wizard Of Love (Modular Project Remix)
- Moon Rocket, Moblack – Gafara (Afro Main Mix)
- Pablo Fierro – La Palma
- Francesco Chiocci & Black Soda – Black Sunrise (Original Mix)
- Lessons – Tempest (Adam Port Europa Mix)
- Raw District – From The Inside
- Viktor Talking Machine, Super Flu – Plastik (Original Mix)
- Matt Sawyer & Chris Leon – Alis (Original Mix)
Occultists is a new Berlin-based techno label. While there are imprints labels galore in founder James Demon’s home city, Occultists is attempting to find its own sonic niche by forging a sound that speaks to disparate moods. In celebration of the release of the label’s second musical offering, the five-track Book Of Shadows: Various Spells Vol. 1 EP featuring tracks by Adra, Dugong, F600 and Zoid^, Demon, who is also featured on the release, turns in a dark and brooding Big Shot Guest Mix.
Demon, who will release an EP on Occultists in October, fastidiously stuffs his 18-track set with upfront tracks and older gems by Planetary Assault Systems, Ellen Allien, Matrixxman, and The Horrorist.
Here’s what Demon had to say about the inspiration behind the mix:
I created this mix that defines the way that I currently like to play in clubs. The mix contains current and old music as I find it important to find the balance between the two. The concept behind Occultists is finding the balance between the dark and light while not being afraid to travel into the darkness to find the other. In my mixes it is important for me to find the balance while still giving the audience what they want on the dance floor. As I grew as an artist, especially in Berlin where I live, I was finally able to fine-tune what I define as my sound. I look at music in a very esoteric way so I don’t stick to just one spectrum of electronic music. If I hear a track and it makes my imagination run wild in that way then I know that I have found a gem. I also look at DJing as creating a ritual for people to dance and lose themselves, this is one thing that many people don’t realize that our nightclubbing is basically a type of modern ritual. Hope you enjoy the mix and that it takes you on a magical journey through a piece of my world.
Hit the play below and catch the Occultist label night at SchwuZ in Berlin on July 13.
Big Shot Guest Mix 334: James Demon
- Intro – Blair Meets The Love Witch
- James Demon – Old Magick – Occultists
- Planetary Assault Systems – Function 4 (Chris Liebing 2011 Rework) – Mote-Evolver
- Jeroen Search – Compressive Strength – Figure SPC
- Sluts’n’Strings And 909 – Summerbreeze – Sender Records
- Adra – Ami – Occultists
- Ellen Allien – Physical – BPitch Control
- Matrixxman – Augmented (Gherkin Jerks Lab Chaos Mix) – Spectral Sound
- Israel Vines – Gatekeepers – Eye Teeth
- Evigt Mörker – Unity And Rose – Semantica Records
- Terence Fixmer – Trace To Noweher – Ostgut Ton
- JP Enfant – Project Northwoods – LET Recordings
- Gareth Wild – Attack At Titan – EarToGround Records
- Chris Liebing & Speedy J – Lava – NovaMute
- Ancient Methods – Born Of Ashes – Persephonic Sirens
- The Horrorist – Mission Ecstasy (Remixed By The Hacker) – Acardipane Records
- The Age Of Love – The Age Of Love (Watch Out For Stella Club Mix) – React
- Outro – Burkittsville
Aaron Baron is the second underground electronic music project of DJ/producer Baron Massilia. Currently riding into summer on the heels of his deep roller “Avec Moi” featuring vocalist Jerid Nowell out now on Marseille, France’s 432 Hertz Records. And as we type this post, a new stormer from the French maestro, “The Dusk Room” feat. Johnny Romance, just popped into our inbox.
Baron takes control of the latest Big Shot Guest Mix and it’s truly something quite spectacular. Over the course of 15 tracks, he peppers in old jams and upfront tracks and mixes as well as older gems by the likes of Gel Abril, Mark Broom, Johannes Heil and Steve Lawler.
He says of his mix, “I was imagining the music you should like, and I went back to my old vinyl. I made a selection, sampled some of them, then I went back to my last underground tracks and recent releases and made the mix live on MixMeister. Hope you enjoy.”
Big Shot Guest Mix 333: Aaron Baron
- White Label
- Croatia Squad – Electric Masquerade (Daniel Portman More Carnival Remix)
- Gel Abril – Your Face Is A Mess (Mark Broom Remix)
- Steve Lawler – Violet (Original Mix)
- White Label
- Johannes Heil – Consciousness (Original Mix)
- Aaron Baron – In the Cube
- Ten Walls – Requiem (Original Mix)
- Steve Lawler – Century Ketchup (Original Mix)
- Sebastien Légér – Bubbly (Original_Mix)
- Bary of Figs De Chez Loac
- Umek, Jay Lumen – Sinful Ladies (Original Mix)
- White Label
- Artist Unknown – Raise The Roof (Original Mix)
- Phony Orphants – Playground
- White Label
- Chab Feat. JD Davis – Closer To Me (Muzzaik Remix)
In May Russian DJ/producer/musician Ivan Latyshev unveiled his Art of Flying EP on Steve Bug’s Dessous Recordings via an advance release on Traxsource.
We had the pleasure of world premiering the title track remixed by none other than Detroit techno legend Eddie “Flashin’” Fowlkes. On his re-rub the Motor City master injects his musical magic into Latyshev’s track, courtesy of layers of smooth synth stabs and techy grooves punctuated with big drums.
Ahead of the EP’s general release tomorrow at all fine digital shops, Latyshev takes the reigns of Big Shot Guest Mix 332. He turned in a phenomenal 11-track session that’s full of musical twists and turns.
Opening and closing with two of his own tracks — “Waking Life” and closing “Black Nation” — the cuts serve as musical bookends for a session brandishing the deep, undulating house grooves of I:Cube, Pavel Iudin, Rick Wade, Detroit Swindle and Mat Chiavaroli.
Hit the play button below and enjoy.
Big Shot Guest Mix 332: Ivan Latyshev
- I:Cube – Oblivion (Dixon’s Edit) / Versatile
- Ivan Latyshev – Waking Life / Dessous Records
- Pavel Iudin – Probe3 / Poker Flat
- Markus Enochson ft. Marcus Andersson – Don’t Let Me Down (Lay-far Remix) / Crush
- Rick Wade – Prime impact / Harmonie Park
- Genius of Time – Houston We Have a Problem / Royal Oak
- Loz Goddard – Home / Quartet Series
- Detroit Swindle – Circular City / Heist
- Kian T – Flughafen (Daniel Leseman Remix) / Secret Reels
- Mat Chiavaroli – Breakfast at Mat’s Bar / Quintessentials
- Delakeyz – Frisches wasser / Hommes du Monde
- Ivan Latyshev – Black Nation / Luvbug